SAN ANTON MARKET
This project is part of the refurbishment of San Anton Market, located in the centre of Madrid, where a 168 m2 (1,808 sqFt) skylight, comprised of transparent low-e photovoltaic glass, has been entirely integrated in the building.
FEASIBILITY STUDY OF AMORPHOUS SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC SKYLIGHT IN MADRID
Reduction in HVAC energy demands
Internal Rate of Return
- Total area - 168 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 225,079 kWh
- Total light points operating 4 hours a day in 35 years - 424 lighting points
- CO2 emissions avoided in 35 years - 151 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 132 barrels per m2
The system enables the generation of electricity in situ, while providing multi-functional bioclimatic properties such as the filtration of solar radiation, and at the same time enhancing interior light and providing thermal and acoustic insulation thanks to its double-glazing.
The glass employed is made of amorphous silicon, with a semi-transparency degree of 20% (L vision), and the total installed power capacity is 6.5 kWp. This photovoltaic skylight generates over 7,700 kWh per year and prevents the release of 5 tons of CO2. For this reason, it has been selected as a sustainable project of reference by the European Commission.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Winner: OFFICIAL PARTNER OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION AWARD – sustainable Energy for Europe 2010 Awards.