MIAMI HEAT STADIUM
At the entrance to the NBA Miami Heat stadium, also known as the “American Airlines Arena”, several circular skylights may be seen, bearing the stamp of Onyx Solar®.
To complete the many circular skylights, approximately 300 crystalline silicon photovoltaic glass units, made entirely to measure for the occasion, were used. These modules enable the stadium to generate 34,500 kWh yearly, to be used for the building’s self-consumption, preventing the release of 20 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. Onyx Solar®’s technology has contributed to this stadium being the first sports and entertainment centre to obtain the LEED Gold recertification.
FEASIBILITY STUDY OF CRYSTALLINE SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC SLYLIGHT IN MIAMI
Reduction of HVAC energy demands
Internal Rate of Return
- Total Area - 328 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 1,002,225 kWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 1,969 lighting points
- CO2 emmisions avoided in 35 years- 671 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 590 barrels per m2
UP TO 6 LEED POINTS FOR IN-HOUSE RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION
In order to reduce the environmental and economic impact associated with the use of fossil fuels, the LEED certification system offers up to 6 points for the in-house generation of 12% of renewable energy.
“The HEAT group is proud to be a leader in the sustainability movement, both in our industry and in our beloved city”.
“Achieving the LEED Gold is a fantastic climax to our efforts over the last five years to act in an environmentally responsible manner, which has a positive effect on our community and on our planet”.
Eric Woolworth, HEAT Group Business Operations President.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Winner: MOST INNOVATIVE PHOTOVOLTAIC GLASS PROJECT AWARD – Global Venture – Annual Awards 2018.
- Winner: MOST INNOVATIVE PHOTOVOLTAIC GLASS PROJECT AWARD – Sustainable Building Awards 2016 by Build Magazine.
General Contractor: Skanska
Architect: DLR Group