PHOTOVOLTAIC CURTAIN WALL
Onyx Solar has provided Photovoltaic Glass integrated as a Photovoltaic Curtain Wall at Ingenium Centre (next to Canada Science &Technology Museum) located in Ottawa, in the Canadian province of Ontario.
- Total Area - 47 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 42,442 KWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 83 lighting points
- CO2 emissions avoided in 35 years - 7 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 25 barrels per m2
Example of a feasibility study of amorphous silicon photovoltaic curtain wall in Ottawa:
- Payback time < 14.1 years
- Internal rate of return (IRR) 6.2 %
* Onyx Solar Energy S.L. makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the report is accurate, complete or up to date.
The installation has 47 m2 (506 sqft) composed of 18 medium transparency Amorphous Silicon Photovoltaic Glass modules with a glass configuration of 6+3+6 mm. All of those modules have a 16 mm air chamber to provide additional acoustic and thermal insulation, which is especially important to help maintain a comfortable indoor temperature in such a cold Canadian climate.
The degree of customization in terms of size is maximum. Due to the slight inclination of the base, each of the 18 modules has different dimensions: no 2 PV glass modules are the same. Measurements range from 2,460x973 mm to 2,911x973 mm.
The installation is integrated into the Ingenium Centre beside the Canada Science & Technology Museum (CSTMC) in Ottawa. It is a state-of-the-art facility designed to protect and showcase Canada’s national science and technology collection, which is stewarded by Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation.
This new state of the art 36,000 m2 building was made to accommodate a range of environments suitable to the long-term preservation of a variety of nationally-significant artifacts, from trains and cars to antique cameras and medical equipment.
Client: Canada’s Museum of Science and Innovation / Musées des sciences et de l'innovation du Canada.
Architects: Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc & KWC Architects Inc
Onyx Solar’s Local Distributor: Belnor Engineering Inc